Where do you vote?
On the day of election or Town Meeting, all residents vote at the Wells Junior High School Gymnasium located at 1470 Post Road, Wells, Maine.
Learn About Ranked-Choice Voting (RCV)
Please visit the State of Maine website for all available resource on Ranked Choice-Voting.
The Clerk's Office is responsible for a variety of tasks. Some of our duties are as follows:
Supervisor of Elections
- Acts for Secretary of State and Board of Selectmen
- Conducts the tallying of votes
- Organizes the polling place
- Prepares nomination papers
- Prepares the ballot
- Supervises the voting
- Issues certified copies of records
- Maintains control of all records filed with the Town Clerk
- Prepares List of appropriations for Assessor, Treasurer and Tax Collector
- Records the minutes of the town meetings
- Responsible for protecting and preserving the records of the town.
- Assists the Animal Control Officer
- Issues licenses for dogs
- Issues marriage licenses (9am to 3:30pm, Monday - Friday)
- Prepares monthly and bimonthly reports
- Records vital statistics for the state and town
- Registration of recreational vehicles (boats, ATV's, snowmobiles)
- Sale of sportsmen licenses (hunting and fishing)
- Submits reports with fees collected to appropriate agencies
- Collects excise taxes on boats for tax collector
- Issues business permits for the Board of Selectmen
- Works with Code Enforcement Office on applications for business licenses
- Works with the Board of Selectmen's secretary in scheduling public hearings and town meetings.