Important Notice - 2015 Energy Code
The 2015 Energy Code will take effect July 1, 2021.
All applications received prior to July 1, 2021 will have the option to use the existing 2009 IECC or the 2015 IECC.
Please call the office for more information.
Responsibilities of Code Enforcement Department
The Wells Code Enforcement Department administers all of the zoning ordinances, building codes, licensing ordinances, growth ordinances, and the Impact Fee Ordinance for the Town of Wells.
Our department is also charged with the enforcement of the Shoreland Zoning, the State of Maine Internal Plumbing rules, the State of Maine Subsurface Wastewater Disposal Rules and Floodplain Management Ordinance. Each Ordinance has specific administrative procedures for the review of applications, inspections and enforcement.
In addition to the rules that we administer, we are also required to enforce dozens of other state and federal land use rules, regulations and laws. These duties utilize the majority of our staff time and efforts.
The Code Enforcement Office also provides staffing and assistance to the Zoning Board of Appeals. This board is responsible for hearing and deciding appeals made by aggrieved parties against decisions made by the Code Enforcement Officer and Planning Board based on Chapter 145 of the Town Code and Charter, and also for hearing and deciding variance appeals made by parties for relief from dimensional requirements of Chapter 145.
- Maine Department of Environmental Protection (MDEP) 888-769-1036
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (Corps), Maine Project Office 207-623-8367
- Maine State Fire Marshall Office (SFMO) 207-626-3884
- Maine State Oils, Solid Fuels and Gasses 207-624-8608
- Maine State Electrical Inspector 207-592-7930
- Water District KKWWD 207-985-3385
- Wells Sanitary District 207-646-5906
Requests for Files & Research
The Code Enforcement Office requires up to 10 business days for all research on properties based on the complexity of each request, time and office priorities. Documents & Files that have been scanned can be viewed at the Counter. Not all Archived documents have been scanned, the office is undergoing a massive scanning process, please be patient as documents may not be available at this time.
Town Building Code: "MUBEC"
Please be advised, pursuant to 10 M.R.S. § 9724(1), that the applicable building code of the Town of Wells is the Maine Uniform Building and Energy Code ("MUBEC"). MUBEC consists, in part, of the 2015 versions of the International Residential Code (IRC) and the International Building Code (IBC). Articles II and III of Chapter 91 (Building Construction) of the Code of the Town of Wells are based on the 2003 IRC and the 2006 IBC, and therefore, do not apply as they are out of date. All construction in the Town of Wells must comply with applicable standards of MUBEC.
- International Residential Code IRC
- International Building Code IBC
- Maine Bureau of Building Codes and Standards
The following building codes are in effect: the 2015 International Residential (IRC) and 2015 International Building (IBC), the 2015 International Existing Building Code (IEBC). The 2009 IECC (Energy Code) will continue to be used.
- All Purpose Building Permit Application
- Building Handouts (PDF)
- Building Permit Fees (PDF)
- Camp Grounds Application & Information (PDF)
- Central Maine Power Form (PDF)
- Chimney Waiver (PDF)
- Commercial Project Checklist (PDF)
- Deck Handout 2015 IRC (PDF)
- Demolition Permit Application (PDF)
- Dig Safe Brochure (2) (PDF)
- Dig Safe Brochure (PDF)
- Egress Windows (PDF)
- Fair Point Telephone Application (PDF)
- FEMA Propane Tank Requirements (PDF)
- FEMA Substantial Improvements (PDF)
- Flood application 2018 (PDF)
- Guide to Hiring a Building Contractor (PDF)
- Height Certificate (PDF)
- Home Occupation (PDF)
- How to Complete an All Purpose Permit (PDF)
- Kennebunk Light and Power Application (PDF)
- New Single Family Dwelling Checklist (PDF)
- Permitted Land Use Table revised 03-20-15 (PDF)
- Pinning Letter (PDF)
- Plumbing Permit Application Online
- Research Request Form
- Rotting Materials Flyer (PDF)
- Sample Plot Plan (PDF)
- Signage Awning Permit Application (PDF)
- Single Family Additions & Alteration Checklist (PDF)
- Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Information Feb 2015 (PDF)
- Street and Driveway Opening Application
- Swimming Pool Permit Application (PDF)
- Swimming Pool Brochure (PDF)
- Zoning Dimensional Requirements Chart (PDF)