Registrar of Voters
Term of Office
The Board of Selectmen appoints the Registrar for a term of 2 years. The appointment is made in January of each odd numbered year. The Registrar appoints the deputies.
The Registrar of Voters is responsible for compiling and maintaining a List of Voters for the town. Some of the duties include the following:
Registration of Voters
- Adds and removes enrollment as required
- Corrects names
- Maintains a list of voters
- Makes correction of addresses
- Provides a list of voters for the polls on Election Day.
- Provides the Town Clerk with current list of voters
- Receives applications for voter registration
- Removes names of voters who have moved or died
- Sends confirmation cards to address of applicant
- Checks names on petitions to verify voter residency
- Checks records of the Assessor for changes of addresses
- Checks the records of the Town Clerk for deaths and marriages (in the case of marriages, Registrar sends inquiry to voter for change of name and/or address)
- Files all necessary reports with the Secretary of State
- Holds office hours as long as the polls are open
- Holds office hours during municipal caucuses for at least 1/2 hour before commencement
- Maintains a schedule of hours for registration and list maintenance
- Must conduct a systemic purge at least once every five years (confirmation by mass mailings as prescribed by MRSA Title 21-A)
- Notifies previous place of residence of applicant’s new voting residence
- Registrar shall keep a record of changes for at least 2 years
The Office of the Registrar is located at the back entrance to the Town Hall. Currently, most business is conducted from the Town Clerk’s Office since the Registrar is also Deputy Town Clerk.
Where do you Vote?
All residents vote at the Wells Junior High School Gymnasium located off of 1470 Post Road, Wells, ME.
When are the polls open?
For the November 8, 2022 Election the polls in Wells are open 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM.