Pay As You Throw Program
Beginning Friday, July 1, 2011, the Town of Wells changed the way residents pay for trash. The new system requires Residents to purchase official Pay-As-You-Throw bags. These bags are orange in color, with the town seal imprinted on the side of the bag. These bags have draw-tape style closure for your convenience. Bags come in rolls of 5 and are available in 3 sizes:
- 15 gallon
- $8.00 per roll
- 33 gallon
- $10.50 per roll
- 45 gallon
- $20.50 per roll
- Bags can only be sold by the roll. Single bag purchases are not available.
- Be aware that merchants selling these bags do not profit from the sale of these bags, and all revenues collected by them are returned back to the town to pay disposal costs.
- Beginning July 1, 2011, all trash must be placed in these special orange Pay As You Throw (PAYT) bags.
- All bags of trash must be tied shut. Nothing can be sticking out of the bags.
- Residents will no longer be allowed to dump bagged trash that is not in the special PAYT bags after July 1st. Please be aware that repeat violators may lose their Transfer Station privileges in doing so.
- No trash shall be deposited in the disposal area if it is not in the new “PAYT” bag.
- Waste and bulky items that don’t fit in an orange PAYT bag are subject to extra fees. An attendant must evaluate these items first to determine fees, and must be paid for prior to placing them in the disposal area.
- Recycling is still free. The more you recycle, the less trash you will generate on a weekly basis. Be aware of what you buy, consider how you will recycle it when you are done with it.
- Separate all your recyclables at home ahead of time. This will save you time and reduce congestion at the Transfer Station.