Board Calendars, Deadlines & Submission Requirements
The meeting calendar has been reviewed and approved by the Board of Selectmen, Planning Board, Zoning Board and Staff Review Committee. The calendar for each year is established in November or December of the previous year.
The Deadline Calendars should be referred to when planning a subdivision or site plan submission for consideration before the Planning Board or Staff Review Committee or an appeal before the Zoning Board of Appeals.
Site and Subdivision Application Deadlines
Complete Site and Subdivision applications must be submitted to the Planning & Development Office no later than 4 p.m. on the application due date (earlier submissions are encouraged). This is necessary so the Planning Office can process the initial application and send required notice to abutters. Please call the Planning Office with questions or special circumstances as we may be able to accommodate your situation if provided notice.
Site and Subdivision Required Documentation Upon Submission
Complete Site and Subdivision applications mean the following information must be provided to the Planning Office:
- Application Form - all pages complete and signed
- 12 copies of all materials required for Planning Board submissions
- 7 copies of all materials required for Staff Review Committee submissions
- A check made payable to the Town of Wells for the application fee and initial escrow deposit (The Planning Office can help calculate your fee by contacting the office prior to submission if needed)
- Copies of Right, Title and Interest in the property or properties involved in the application (i.e. Deed, Purchase & Sale Agreement & any letters of authorization from the owner granting permission to an applicant to pursue the application)
- Copies of the site plan or subdivision plan for Planning Board applications to be provided in 1 of the following ways:
3 plans measuring 24 inches by 36 inches plus 9 plans measuring 11 inches by 17 inches; or 12 plans measuring 24 inches by 36 inches. Please have plans pre-folded.
- Copies of the site plan for Staff Review Committee applications in 1 of the following ways:
3 plans measuring 24 inches by 26 inches plus 5 plans measuring 11 inches by 17 inches; or 8 plans measuring 24 inches by 36 inches. Please have plans pre-folded.
- An email or CD of the subdivision plan or site plan and all supporting information in PDF form
Submissions received in time for a scheduled meeting are not guaranteed placement on an upcoming agenda. The Planning Office makes a best effort to process all applications as quickly as possible.
Zoning Board of Appeals Application Deadlines
You may apply for an appeal/permit at Town Hall, Code Enforcement Office, Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. If you choose to file on the deadline date, please note that applications are accepted only until noon on that day.
You will be sent a letter confirming the time and date of the scheduled meeting along with an Agenda.
Zoning Board of Appeals Required Documentation Upon Submission
- Copy of Appeal application.
- Cover letter addressed to the Zoning Board of Appeals stating what you want to do.
- Plot plan showing the site and location of all structures, existing and proposed, in relation to the lot lines and, if applicable. Indicate parking. Lot size and setback dimensions must be shown.
- Floor plan, if applicable, showing dimensions of existing and proposed rooms and /or structures.
- Copy of the tax map (obtained in the Assessors Office) with the property highlighted.
- Photos of property.
- Deed, sales agreement, lease or intent to lease.
- Owner, lessee, prospective purchase or legal representation must sign the application.
- A letter from the property owner giving permission to the application to represent the property if applicable.
- A list of all direct abutters located within 100 feet of the property, along with their mailing addresses.
- All plans must also be folded neatly with each packet and banded.
If additional information is needed to complete the packet for the Zoning Board of Appeals you will be notified. Please make sure you include a contact phone number on your cover letter. If we cannot contact you, the item may be tabled until the next regular meeting.