- Boards, Commissions & Committees
- Energy Advisory Committee
Energy Advisory Committee
This committee advises the Town Manager and the Board of Selectmen on energy programs, projects and policies which, through conservation and alternative energy use, work to achieve a reduction in Wells’ reliance on fossil fuel. Meetings are held monthly and are project driven.
- Beth Widmayer, Chair
- Reid Appleby
- Bill Franks
- Lisa Gatti-Arnold
- John Lillibridge
- Jackie Quinton
- Marty Takessian
- VACANT, alternate
- VACANT, alternate
- Meetings are held on the third Wednesday of the month at 5:30 pm either at the Town Hall or virtually via Zoom
- Solar Power Purchase Agreement to meet the electricity needs of Town and Schools. Energy Committee drafted RFP, reviewed proposals and advised Board of Selectmen on selection of contractor. (As of May 2022, expected solar energy credits for the Town and School starting in 3rd Qrt 2022.)
- Third annual Electric Vehicle show, to be held Sunday, September 10, 2023, at the Library from 1:00 to 4:00.
- Increase the number of electric vehicle charging stations in Wells.
- Exploration of conversion of Wells’ school buses to electric.
- Exploration of an electric bike sharing program for Wells.
Recently Completed Projects
- Community Solar-Information webinar with Revision Energy scheduled for Wednesday, May 26, noon-1:00pm.
- Second annual Electric Vehicle show, held Sunday, September 11, 2022.
- EV Charging station: Assisted Town Manager in acquiring grants for install at the Library.
- Community Solar: Investigated many town sites for use as Community Solar Farms.
- Town streetlight conversion to LED Streetlights. The annual savings to the Town is approximately $60,000.
- Electric Vehicles: The Town has leased its first E.V. (electric, battery powered vehicle), a Nissan Leaf, for use by Town officials utilizing a substantial rebate from Efficiency Maine.
- Installed a 'Level 2' charging station near the back entrance to the Town Hall, with the assistance of Revision Energy of Portland, for the Town's EVs. While this station is not for public use, public EV charging is available at the nearby Wells Library.
- Renewable Energy: The Town has contracted with a private developer, Walden Renewables, Inc., to build solar installations, generating up to 10 megawatts of electricity. The Town will receive approximately $80,000 annually from tax and lease payments by the Developer.
- Lighting “Standard” lighting in the Town Hall has been converted to L.E.D. lighting.
Click below to view a video recording of the Community Solar event, hosted by EnergySage, which took place on Thursday, February 16th, 2023 via Zoom. Community Solar 101 Recording
Heat Pump Informational Article
Heat pumps are defying Maine’s winters and oil industry pushback. Read about it here.
Contacting the Energy Advisory Committee
We'd love to hear from you! To submit comments to the Energy Advisory Committee, you can:
- Click here to email the Chair
- Hand deliver them to the Town Manager's Office
- Mail them to:
208 Sanford Road
Wells, ME 04090
Join our Committee
The Wells Energy Advisory Committee is seeking additional members. Contact the Town Manager or Energy Committee Chair, Beth Widmayer